The Vail Jazz Festival Begins This Week
Live jazz returns to Vail June 30 – Sept 5, 2022.
VAIL, Colo. –June 27, 2022 – Live jazz returns to Vail this Thursday, June 30 with the 28th Annual Vail Jazz Festival. The Festival is a summer-long event packed with a variety of jazz musical and educational offerings.
“This summer you’ll find something for everyone at the Vail Jazz Festival,” says Amanda Blevins, executive director. “From the world-renowned headliners on Thursday nights, to free Sunday concerts, which introduce many sub-genres of jazz to our community. Don’t miss the free swing lessons preceding the show on August 21st!”
VAIL JAZZ KICKOFF PARTY
The Festival will commence this Thursday, June 30 with the Vail Jazz Kickoff Party, an elegant evening out at the Arrabelle in Lionshead, including cocktail reception, live performance, and dinner. The performance features Grammy-nominated guitarist Diego Figueiredo and world-renowned clarinetist/saxophonist Ken Peplowski. Limited tickets are still available ($200 general-admission, $250 VIP), and can be purchased at VailJazz.org/live-performances.
VAIL JAZZ AT SOLARIS
Free Sunday evening concerts return this weekend (July 3) to the Solaris Plaza (141 East Meadow Drive, Vail CO), after a successful inaugural season last summer. This family-friendly series will be a showcase of the many genres of jazz, and include the sounds of soul, funk, swing, big band, Latin and contemporary jazz, contemporary. The music begins at 5:30PM and on most Sundays starts by showcasing talented Colorado student jazz bands. The final Sunday evening concert August 21 will be preceded by a free swing lesson at 5PM, and dancing will continue throughout the performance. Vail Jazz at Solaris is presented by Discover Vail, Alpine Bank, and the Jazz Cruise. Info at VailJazz.org/live-performances.
VAIL JAZZ AT VAIL SQUARE
Thursday evening headliner performances return under the Jazz Tent in Lionshead Village (675 Lionshead Place, Vail CO). Doors open at 5PM and performances begin at 6PM, presented by Discover Vail, Alpine Bank and Blue Note at Sea. This summer features some of the biggest names in jazz, including rising stars Samara Joy and Matthew Whitaker, and established jazz greats Jon Cleary and Dee Dee Bridgewater. General admission tickets are $50, premium tickets are $75. Tickets are on sale now at VailJazz.org/live-performances. Vail Jazz at Vail Square is presented by Discover Vail, Alpine Bank, and Blue Note at Sea.
VAIL JAZZ AT THE REMEDY
Vail Jazz Club Series returns to the Remedy in the Four Seasons onWednesdays July 6 – Aug 31, 2022 8PM – 10PM. The Remedy provides a decidedly sleek space for Wednesday nights with a jazz club vibe. Throughout the summer, the Remedy hosts jazz pianist Stu MacAskie and his trio, joined weekly by an array of visiting jazz luminaries, creating an evening of lively musical concoctions. This free Wednesday evening series is elevated by the Remedy’s expert bartenders mixing up playful potions, with chefs serving up lavish fare against a mountain backdrop. Vail Jazz at the Remedy is sponsored by Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail.
JAMMIN’ JAZZ KIDS
Jammin’ Jazz Kids returns after a two-year pandemic hiatus and offers an engaging and fun learning experience for youngsters through interactive, hands-on activities that teach the fundamentals of jazz and the art of improvisation. Youngsters and their families are invited to a free fun-filled hour of exploring the fundamentals of jazz music, the 12-bar blues, and playing along with lively music educators. Although the program is ideal for children aged four through ten, everyone is welcome. Sundays July 10 – Aug 14, 2022 at Solaris Plaza in Vail Village, from 12 – 12:45PM. Sign-ups are open for this free event here. Jammin’ Jazz Kids is made possible through the support of private donors and the Epic Promise Foundation.
“The return of Jammin’ Jazz Kids is a celebration of the legacy of our educational programs, and a step toward our future goals of expanding them,” says Blevins.
VAIL JAZZ PARTY OVER LABOR DAY WEEKEND
THE event that started it all! The Vail Jazz Party (VJP) – September 1-5 2022- brings together some of the biggest names in jazz in a constellation of group performances. VJP events feature daytime music sessions (including the ever-popular Sunday morning Gospel session) held under the Jazz Tent at Vail Square in Lionshead Village, and evening events hosted at The Hythe Vail (formerly the Vail Marriott.)
VJP All-Access Patron Passes ($575) VailJazz.org/vail-jazz-party/ include entry into all sessions of music as well as a welcome reception and brunch before the popular Sunday morning Gospel show. Individual tickets to the Gospel show ($95) are also available at VailJazz.org; Tickets to other individual music sessions ($75) are now available. The VJP is presented by Discover Vail, Alpine Bank, and Blue Note at Sea.
28th Annual Vail Jazz Festival Full Lineup of Events:
- June 30 (Thurs) 5PM Kickoff Party featuring Diego Figueiredo and Ken Peplowski
- July 3 (Sun) 5:30PM United States Air Force Academy Band Falconaires
- July 7 (Thurs) 6PM Matthew Whitaker Quintet
- July 10 (Sun) 5:30PM Quemando with student band opening act Azul de Azúcar from Kent Denver School
- July 14 (Thurs) 6PM Jon Cleary – Mardi Gras in July
- July 17 (Sun) 5:30PM Lao Tizer Quartet with student band opening act Denver School of the Arts Jazz Workshop
- July 21 (Thurs) 6PM Frank Vignola’s Birdland Guitar Band (special performance at Donovan Pavilion)
- July 24 (Sun) 5:30PM The Burroughs with student band opening act East High Jazz Combo
- July 28 (Thurs) 6PM Bria Skonberg Quartet
- July 31 (Sun) 5:30PM Lionel Young Quintet with student band opening act Denver Jazz Club Youth All-Stars
- Aug 4 (Thurs) 6PM Samara Joy and Pasquale Grasso Quartet
- Aug 7 (Sun) 5:30PM The Colorado Jazz Repertory Orchestra Sextet Presents Sass, Swingin’ and Standards with student band opening act CCJA Bebop Police from the CO Conservatory for the Jazz Arts
- Aug 11 (Thurs) 6PM Dee Dee Bridgewater and the Memphis Soulphony Present “Memphis…Yes, I’m Ready”
- Aug 14 (Sun) 5:30PM Tony Monaco’s Tribute to Dr. Lonnie Smith & the Giants of the B-3 with student band opening act UNC Jazz Quintet
- Aug 18 (Thurs) 6PM Warren Wolf’s Multi-Media History of the Vibes
- Aug 21 (Sun) 5PM Free swing lesson from Swingin’ Denver
- Aug 21 (Sun) 5:30PM Peter Olstad’s Rocky Mountain All-Stars
- Wednesdays July 6 – Aug 31 8PM – 10PM Vail Jazz at the Remedy
- Thursdays July 7 – Sept 1 (plus Monday Sept 5) at 8PM Vail Jazz After Party at the Tavern
- Sundays July 10 – Aug 14 12PM – 12:45PM Jammin’ Jazz Kids
- Thurs Sept 1 – Mon Sept 5 (Labor Day Weekend) Vail Jazz Party
For more information about the Vail Jazz Foundation and Festival, please visit VailJazz.org or contact Jamie Cox, Marketing Manager (email@example.com).
About Vail Jazz:
The Vail Jazz Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the perpetuation of jazz music through presentation and education. Vail Jazz produces summer performance series, virtual series, and award-winning educational programs serving both the national and local communities.